Joy has been a recurring theme today.
First, in my reading this morning during my coffee time with God each morning, I am reading through You’re Going to Be Okay: Encouraging Truth Your Heart Needs to Hear, Especially on the Hard Days* by Holley Gerth, and what I was reveling as I went to watch my online class today…
- Happiness does not just happen. It’s not something we can sit around and wait to receive. It’s not automatic – we have to work for it.
- Joy requires my openness and being willing to receive. We have to make a choice – everyday.
God wants me to be joyful, I have definitely been one who got stuck thinking life was to be endured. Holley talks about the myths we believe and what hold us back from experiencing joy & happiness. You definitely should get the book and read it.
Second, when reading emails later in the day… Bonnie Gray [Faith Barista, author of Finding Spiritual Whitespace*], posted about not being a brand, but being beloved. She started her post with a quote from Henri Nouwen – it was almost the same as what I’d read in Holley’s book, except it used the word ‘joy’.
I am thinking about this verse differently now:
- Consider it all joy when facing trials of many kinds. – He expects it to be a deliberate choice. I am not failing Him by having to choose daily.
- His grace is enough, it is all you need. – His grace truly does makes everything look different!
- His power is stronger in your weakness. – I have the privilege of leaning on His power, NOT mine. My weakness shows Him off even more. I fulfill my purpose of bringing Him glory by my weakness and His power being revealed.
Oh, I am so thankful I am forgiven as often as I am. By Jesus’ blood, my joy has already been paid for. It is a gift. Like His gift of grace. From my Father, by the blood of Jesus, to cover me.
(I can’t believe we’re almost half way through the month!)